At McGann Facial Design, we take dentistry very seriously. But we think teeth can be fun too! Here are ten interesting dental facts that will make you smile.
1. According to several studies in the field, around 75% of American adults struggle with some form of periodontal disease, and 78% of Americans have had at least 1 cavity by age 17.
2. Some people choose to put a cap on their toothbrush, believing that this will protect the brush from accumulating bacteria. In fact, the cap acts as a collector of bacteria, mainly because of the moisture that forms within.
3. Babies do not carry food decay bacteria, but they can get dangerous oral health bacteria from their mothers when they kiss the baby, or even whenthey blow on the baby’s food to cool it faster.
4. Around 3 glasses of carbonated drinks (soda, cola, etc.) per day may cause about 60% of patients’ tooth decay or tooth loss. In fact, those who drink 3 or more sugary sodas daily have 62% more dental decay than those who don’t.
5. A documented dental record proves that the very first toothbrush was manufactured in China, as early as the 15th century (in 1498 to be exact).
6. The hand you write with can affect your teeth. If you’re right handed, you will tend to chew your food on your right side. If you’re left handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side.
7. Each person’s set of teeth is unique, much like their fingerprints. Even identical twins do not have exactly the same set of teeth. Did you know that your tongue print is also unique?
8. 60% of people don’t know that a sore jaw, when combined with chest pain, can signal a heart attack – especially in women.
9. 50% of people consider the smile the first facial feature they notice, and 83% of people believe their teeth are more important to their appearance than hair and eyes.
10. 80% of people are not happy with their smile.
While these fun facts will give you something to smile about, oral health is more than just fun and games. Practicing good dental health habits can foster a healthy smile for a lifetime. Here at McGann Facial Design, we believe that knowledge is power. Check our future posts for more dental facts and to learn more about your mouth. If you have any questions, concerns, or suffer from issues with your teeth or jaw, call or email us today!
To learn more about what we do, meet our team, and read patient stories, visit our website www.mcgannfacialdesign.com