Dental implants change the way people live. They are designed to provide a foundation for replacement teeth that look, feel, and function like natural teeth. Statistics show that 69% of adults ages 35 to 44 have lost at least one permanent tooth to an accident, gum disease, a failed root canal, or tooth decay. Furthermore, by age 74, 26% of adults have lost all of their permanent teeth.
Did You Know that Dental Implants are Frequently the Best Treatment Option for Replacing Missing Teeth?
Dental implants provide an alternative to traditional tooth replacements such as dentures and bridges. Rather than resting on the gum line like removable dentures, or using adjacent teeth as anchors like fixed bridges, dental implants are long-term replacements that your oral and maxillofacial surgeon surgically places in the jawbone. Dental implants are a long-term solution for tooth loss to regain your confidence and bring your smile back to life.
What Exactly are Dental Implants?
Simply put, a dental implant is a replacement tooth root. Dental implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth. They are an option for those who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, injury, or some other reason.
What are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
There are many advantages to dental implants, including:
- Improved Appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. The teeth appear natural and facial contours are preserved.
- Improved Speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth, causing people to mumble or slur their words. Dental implants allow you to speak clearly, without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Comfort. Implants eliminate the day-to-day frustrations and discomfort of dentures. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier Eating. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved Self Esteem. Dentures often make people feel and look older than they are, or cause embarrassment in social situations when they slip and click. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved Oral Health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that, removable. Dental implants eliminate the inconvenience of removing dentures, and the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. They combine the best of modern science and technology. With good care, implants can last a lifetime.
For all of these reasons and more, people with dental implants often say they feel better… they look better… they live better.
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Whether you are a young, middle-aged, or older adult; whether you need to replace one tooth, several teeth, or all your teeth, there is a dental implant solution for you. The ideal candidate for a dental implant is in good general and oral health. Adequate bone in your jaw is needed to support the implant, and the best candidates have healthy gum tissues that are free of periodontal disease.
At McGann Facial Design, Dr. McGann and his staff are San Diego’s experts in dental implants. From straightforward to complex cases, we offer patients a choice solution to missing teeth, and guarantee our dental implants for life! If an implant post fails, Dr. McGann will replace it without a charge. We are confident in the predictable success of our implants. If you or someone you know is looking for a solution for missing teeth, call McGann Facial Design today, to schedule a consultation.